With summer just around the corner, many Canadians are dreaming of fun-filled days out on the water with family and friends. While boating is a great activity for people of all ages – it also comes with serious risks. Wearing a life jacket is a simple yet extremely important way to keep you and your family safe. Wearing a life jacket is important because:
1. They save lives
2. They help turn an unconscious person in a face-up position in the water
3. Boating accidents can occur to even the most experienced boat drivers and crew
4. Boating accidents occur during any type of weather
5. Adults are just as likely as children to drown
6. Being intoxicated or having alcohol in your system affects your swimming ability
7. They help prevent hypothermia
It is important to stay educated on the ...
The weather is warm and outdoors is the place you want to be. It’s time for barbeques, playing in the pool, and many good things to do and eat. However, this is also a time when you need to be aware of safety and here are 10 safety tips to keep you and your family safe and sound this summer.
1. Grilling tip - make sure to clean the grill regularly and do not let grease build up. This will help to reduce the risk of fire. Also, do not let things accumulate around the grill.
2. Playground equipment – perform a safety check on play equipment. Examine the legs of the swing structure to make sure they are sturdy and not weakened by rust. Make sure swing chains are in good condition and inspect the seats too.
Check out all the outdoor play equipment closely and look for rough spots that could cut people. If you find bad spots, sand them down and paint them with a good rust inhibiting paint.
3. Deck check – before you apply a new coat of deck sealer, check all railings and boards on the floor. ...