Trampolines are becoming more popular every year. With varying types from small, for personal exercise, to the large outdoor variety, there’s never been a better time to talk about trampoline safety.
Every year there are approximately 100,000 trampoline related injuries, the majority of which happen to children. Trampolines are not recommended for at home use, however if you must have one there are guidelines to follow.
Here are some trampoline safety tips:
Be sure to talk to your insurance broker before installing a trampoline.
Ensure there is adequate supervision when the trampoline is in use.
Only one person at a time should be using the trampoline.
Make sure the trampoline is on level ground and that there is a 2-meter clearance around the sides.
Using a trampoline safety net can help prevent injuries from falls
Never attempt somersaults on the trampoline.
Make sure supporting bars and landing surfaces have sufficient padding.
Inspect the tramp ...
With summer just around the corner, many Canadians are dreaming of fun-filled days out on the water with family and friends. While boating is a great activity for people of all ages – it also comes with serious risks. Wearing a life jacket is a simple yet extremely important way to keep you and your family safe. Wearing a life jacket is important because:
1. They save lives
2. They help turn an unconscious person in a face-up position in the water
3. Boating accidents can occur to even the most experienced boat drivers and crew
4. Boating accidents occur during any type of weather
5. Adults are just as likely as children to drown
6. Being intoxicated or having alcohol in your system affects your swimming ability
7. They help prevent hypothermia
It is important to stay educated on the ...
The weather is warm and outdoors is the place you want to be. It’s time for barbeques, playing in the pool, and many good things to do and eat. However, this is also a time when you need to be aware of safety and here are 10 safety tips to keep you and your family safe and sound this summer.
1. Grilling tip - make sure to clean the grill regularly and do not let grease build up. This will help to reduce the risk of fire. Also, do not let things accumulate around the grill.
2. Playground equipment – perform a safety check on play equipment. Examine the legs of the swing structure to make sure they are sturdy and not weakened by rust. Make sure swing chains are in good condition and inspect the seats too.
Check out all the outdoor play equipment closely and look for rough spots that could cut people. If you find bad spots, sand them down and paint them with a good rust inhibiting paint.
3. Deck check – before you apply a new coat of deck sealer, check all railings and boards on the floor. ...
You have tried your hand at sailing and you love it, and why not? It’s such a great feeling to be out on the water and sailing without the use of a motor. It takes some skill and time to learn but you will enjoy a great source of recreations and freedom with sailing. So now it’s time to buy a sailboat. What do you do and how can you get a good deal? Here are some helpful tips to put you on the right track.
New or Used?
Is it better to buy a used boat or a new one? This depends on what kind of condition the boat is in. If budget is a big concern, you may have no choice but to look at used vessels. With a used boat you may save on price and on boat insurance. However, you will find many good reasons to buy new. For example:
You are the first owner and you know exactly what you are getting.
You will receive the best warranty.
You can enjoy the latest in sailing technology.
There is no need for repairs or a lot of maintenance and this means more time to go sailing.
What is t ...
Summer is a great chance to have a get together, be it sitting around the pool during the day or even around a fire at night. It’s a great time for weddings, reunions, and all things in between. If you’re an adult these events will sometimes have alcohol involved, and if you’re the host, then you are responsible for your guests. What exactly does this mean?
It means that if you are the host and your guests are drinking, it is your responsibility to ensure they do not drive or drink too much. Here are a few suggestions on how to ensure your event goes off without any issues.
1) Have anyone that has driven to the event location leave their keys with an attendant if they are having a drink or two.
2) Arrange to have a couple designated drivers / or taxi’s to bring people home when they need
3) Have snacks around so that people are not drinking on an empty stomach.  ...