With the 14th Annual Wharf Rat Rally coming to Digby, Nova Scotia this week, this little town is expecting an influx of bikes and their riders. While motorcycles are a fun, fuel efficient method of transportation, it is important to be aware of the safety risks that come with riding these bikes. Here are a few tips to keep you and your family safe this year all while enjoying the freedom that comes with riding a motorcycle!
1. Brush up on core skills in a safe place like an empty parking lot by practicing emergency braking and obstacle avoidance.
2. Always use your signals to make other drivers aware of your actions at all times.
3. Ride at a safe speed and stay far enough behind other vehicles that you have plenty of time to stop safely.
4. Avoid bad weather as much as possible. Rain not only cuts your visibility but reduces your tires’ grip on the road.
5. Watch for road hazards. Motorcycles have less contact with the pavement than a car, so bumps and potholes can pose danger when on a bike. If you can’t avoid hazards, slow down as much as possible before encountering them.
6. Do your best to stay out of a driver's blind spot.
7. Invest in antilock brakes. IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) data shows that motorcycles equipped with ABS brakes were 37 percent less likely to be involved in a fatal crash than bikes without it.
8. Wear as much safety gear as possible, such as helmets and elbow pads.
These are a few simple tips to stay safe on the road. On behalf of Fairway Insurance, we wish all riders a safe and happy Wharf Rat Rally 2018!