Carbon Monoxide Detectors Could Save Your Life!!

Written by on 4/6/2017 10:08 AM . It has 0 Comments.


What is carbon monoxide?


An odorless, tasteless and colorless gas, also known as CO.

What causes carbon monoxide?

Oil
Coal
Wood
Gasoline
Propane
Natural Gas

Carbon Monoxide is found in fumes produced by furnaces, vehicles, portable generators, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, or burning charcoal or wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.

What happens when people are exposed?

People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing Carbon Monoxide.

Symptoms/Outcomes of Carbon Monoxide intake?

Headaches
Nausea
Shortness of breath
Fatigue
Confusion
Fainting
Personality changes
Memory loss
Severe lung injury
Brain damage
Death

 What can you do to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning?

-Have any gas, oil, coal or wood burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

-Install a battery-operated or battery back-up carbon monoxide detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.

-Leave your home immediately and call 911 if your CO detector ever sounds. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseated.

What do you do if your carbon monoxide detector sounds?

If your carbon monoxide detector sounds, you should do the following.

-Do not try to locate the source of carbon monoxide.

-Leave your home immediately and move to fresh air.

-Once outside, call 9-1-1, your fire department or emergency services.

-Return to your home only after the problem has been fixed by a professional.

 

Contact your municipal or provincial government office for more information on the use and installation of carbon monoxide detectors in your area. Your local fire department may also be able to assist you.

Comments are closed for this post, but if you have spotted an error or have additional info that you think should be in this post, feel free to contact us.