The New Year is upon us and this year we encourage everyone to read and follow this guide from the Insurance Bureau of Canada as a part of your New Years Resolution.
The IBC's top 10 Tips for a safe New Year are:
- Review your insurance policy to ensure that you have adequate coverage.
- Shop around to find the right policy for your own unique situation.
- To prevent possible slips and falls, keep your walkways and front stairs clear of snow and ice.
- Create or review your family emergency plan.
- Update your home inventory list by adding new items, including gifts received over the holidays.
- Note the approximate value of the items, including makes, models, serial numbers and any other identifying marks.
- If necessary, hire an appraiser to determine the value of works of art or jewellery avoid a possible claims misunderstanding.
- Take photos or a video of your home's contents.
- Keep your home inventory list, and photos or video of your home's contents in a safety deposit box, a fire proof safe or in another secure location away from your home.
- If you are renting, ensure you have tenant's insurance. A landlord's policy will not typically cover your personal belongings or liability.
- If you have questions, speak to your insurance broker at 1-888-245-4741.
On behalf of the entire Fairway Insurance team we would like to wish you and your families a happy and prosperous New Year!!