Posted on 9/6/2019 6:01 AM By Fairway Insurance Services
With Hurricane Dorian heading our way over the weekend, now’s the time to start preparing around your home and business. To make this a little easier, here are our top 10 things to do to prepare:
1) Tie down or bring inside your patio furniture or anything loose around your home
2) Trim dead branches and cut down dead trees to reduce the danger of these falling onto your house.
3) Make sure downspouts are clear of debris and direct water away from your home.
4) Fill your vehicle with gas
5) Fill your propane tank for your bbq or have a spare in case you need it to cook food.
6) Be prepared for power outages with sufficient food, water and medications.
• Water, one gallon of water per person, per day, for at least three days. (for drinking and sanitation)
Posted on 10/30/2018 7:03 AM Fairway Insurance Services
Halloween is a fun and exciting time for most, but can be scary! It is important to keep safe and avoid getting hurt. So here are some Halloween Safety Tips for children and young adults:
-head out early and avoid staying out too late
-wear reflective tape or light up/flashing items
-take a flash light to ensure you can see where you are walking
-make sure your costume doesn’t drag so it wont trip
-make sure you can see and hear out of your mask properly (or try face paint!)
-make sure to dress warm under your costume
-look both ways before crossing the street
-make sure vehicles are stopped and can see you before crossing the street
-consider going to a Trunk or Treat event to avoid walking on the roads in the dark
-always go with a parent or with a trusted adult
-don’t go inside a home of someone you don’t know
-try to only go to doors of people you know
-be kind and polite
-never eat a candy or treat that appears to be tampered with or opened
-have an adult check your loot ...
Posted on 9/18/2018 6:05 AM Fairway Insurance Services
Imagine going to work and truly feeling motivated every day. Imagine your co-workers all working together to achieve a common goal. Work productivity all depends on the work environment. If your co-workers are a constant drag, there will be little to no progress during a day and you won’t feel very proud of your accomplishments. Being a good leader influences an entire office. To be an efficient leader you don’t need to be crazy special or unique, you just need to know how to use your skills in a way that benefits everyone around you.
Learn how to communicate effectively.
Communication is almost always the key to being a successful leader. Think about the "who," "what" and "how" of the situation, and always consider all angles of a situation before diving in. For example, What is the issue at hand? How can it be solved? Understanding the answers to those questions will make communicating your thoughts and ideas to other much clearer.
Have a positive attitude at work
Posted on 9/5/2018 7:15 AM Fairway Insurance Services
Directors and Officers insurance protects the personal assets of directors and officers, and their spouses, in the event they are personally sued by other parties for (alleged) mis-management of their company or organization.
What is the difference between Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance and Director’s and Officer’s (D&O) Insurance:
o CGL provides coverage for claims arising from third party property damage and/or bodily injury.
o D&O provides coverage for wrongful acts such as neglect or breach of duty. People who give advice and/or make educated recommendations also benefit from Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage, as they are at risk of being sued for giving improper or misleading advice.
Examples of types of potential losses may include:
o Wrongful dismissal
Posted on 8/28/2018 5:18 AM Fairway Insurance Services
With the 14th Annual Wharf Rat Rally coming to Digby, Nova Scotia this week, this little town is expecting an influx of bikes and their riders. While motorcycles are a fun, fuel efficient method of transportation, it is important to be aware of the safety risks that come with riding these bikes. Here are a few tips to keep you and your family safe this year all while enjoying the freedom that comes with riding a motorcycle!
1. Brush up on core skills in a safe place like an empty parking lot by practicing emergency braking and obstacle avoidance.
2. Always use your signals to make other drivers aware of your actions at all times.
3. Ride at a safe speed and stay far enough behind other vehicles that you have plenty of time to stop safely.
4. Avoid bad weather as much as possible. Rain not only cuts your visibility but reduces your tires’ grip on the road.
5. & ...
Posted on 8/23/2018 6:39 AM Fairway Insurance Services
Does your vehicle have a lift kit or other modifications? If you answered yes, you may not be covered on your current policy. The application that you sign for your insurance policy asks if your vehicle has been modified. If you answered no and the vehicle has, in fact been modified, your policy contract with the insurance company could very likely be null and void.
There are many modifications that can be made to a vehicle, but some can affect whether your vehicle meets safety rating laws or the underwriting guidelines of your insurance company. Modifications such as lift kits and engine upgrades etc., can seriously affect the safety of a vehicle, particularly if it is not installed properly. For this reason, insurance companies need to be aware of any changes made to the vehicle and, depending on the specifications, may decline to insure the vehicle.
Lift kits are the most common of the modifications that we see and are often overlooked or not reported. This coul ...
Posted on 6/21/2018 5:57 AM Fairway Insurance Services
At some point in time as a business owner you have had to decide how much insurance coverage you feel you need on buildings, equipment or stock that you own or are responsible for. Hopefully the following will help you make an informed decision.
Most property insurance polices contain a “Co-Insurance Clause”. The word in essence means that both parties, yourself and the insurance company can become partners in payment of an insured loss. Most insurance claims to buildings, equipment or stock tend to be partial losses and not total losses and an insurance company needs to collect enough in premiums to cover all losses and expenses. It is impossible to know who is going to have a partial loss verses a total loss, so to stop businesses from only insuring a portion of the value of a given building, equipment or stock a “Co-Insurance” penalty is contained in the contract wording. In simple terms this clause states that insured losses are settled on the basis o ...
Posted on 6/14/2018 3:41 AM Fairway Insurance Services
With summer just around the corner, many Canadians are dreaming of fun-filled days out on the water with family and friends. While boating is a great activity for people of all ages – it also comes with serious risks. Wearing a life jacket is a simple yet extremely important way to keep you and your family safe. Wearing a life jacket is important because:
1. They save lives
2. They help turn an unconscious person in a face-up position in the water
3. Boating accidents can occur to even the most experienced boat drivers and crew
4. Boating accidents occur during any type of weather
5. Adults are just as likely as children to drown
6. Being intoxicated or having alcohol in your system affects your swimming ability
7. They help prevent hypothermia
It is important to stay educated on the ...
Posted on 6/12/2018 5:41 AM Fairway Insurance Services
Going green is easier than you think. You can do your part just by changing your daily habits. There are simple things you can do each day to help reduce greenhouse gases and help protect the environment. Here are 5 easy tips that you can use to help make a difference and save the planet.
1. Recycle – recycling is one of the easiest ways to help save the planet! It’s as simple as putting a can of soup or a piece of paper in a separate bin than your regular waste. Be sure to separate your recycling into glass, paper, plastic etc.
2. Turn things off when you’re done using them – turn off the lights when you leave a room, unplug the toaster once you’re done with it, or unplug your phone charger from the wall once you’re completely charged. Simple things like that make a huge difference on the environment.
3. Be cautious of how much water you use – turn the tap off when you’ ...
Posted on 6/4/2018 5:33 AM Fairway Insurance Services
The weather is warm and outdoors is the place you want to be. It’s time for barbeques, playing in the pool, and many good things to do and eat. However, this is also a time when you need to be aware of safety and here are 10 safety tips to keep you and your family safe and sound this summer.
1. Grilling tip - make sure to clean the grill regularly and do not let grease build up. This will help to reduce the risk of fire. Also, do not let things accumulate around the grill.
2. Playground equipment – perform a safety check on play equipment. Examine the legs of the swing structure to make sure they are sturdy and not weakened by rust. Make sure swing chains are in good condition and inspect the seats too.
Check out all the outdoor play equipment closely and look for rough spots that could cut people. If you find bad spots, sand them down and paint them with a good rust inhibiting paint.
3. Deck check – before you apply a new coat of deck sealer, check all railings and boards on the floor. ...